Amazon

Monday, February 28, 2011

Why do you coupon?

Sunday morning when I opened up our church bulletin I was reminded why I coupon.  Isn't that an odd time and place to be reminded of something like that?  Not really.  I've mentioned before that our church supports various ministries locally and elsewhere but one of the local ministries is an outreach for the migrate workers that seasonally come to our very large farming community.  They ask for donations of basic items:  deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, disposable razors, soap, washcloths, shaving cream, combs, gallon size zip-lock bags, shampoo.  If I wasn't using coupons then going out to purchase these items, even just 1 of each, would put a squeeze on our wallet for that week or month.  Since I use coupons, I have many of these items sitting in our "Cheerful Giver" box already just waiting for a need to arise!  How many of you picked up FREE toothbrushes at Kroger about a month ago?  How many of you picked up FREE Colgate toothpaste at Kroger a couple of weeks ago?  How many of you found the Christmas zip-lock bags on clearance and got them nearly free with coupons?  I could go on and on!

I realize that there are families out there that coupon because they HAVE to.  The past few years have been more than difficult, financially, and the only way they are able to put food on the table is to use their coupons.  Those people are my coupon heroes!  They have found and perfected a way to keep their family going because they are willing to put in the effort to save every cent they can at the grocery store and beyond.  I know that our situation is different.  I coupon because I want to be the best steward I can of the finances that the Lord has entrusted to our family.  I coupon because I have found it to be the best way to fill our cupboards, cabinets, linen closets, and the "Cheerful Giver" box.  I coupon so that when I see a need in our church bulletin my family can rise up and respond to the need.  I love the fact that the migrant workers that come to our area will not only be shown love by being given a bag full of necessities but will be told about the Good News of Jesus Christ at the same time!  I can definitely get behind a ministry like that.

So, to make this short post longer, when we got home, I pulled out the list in our bulletin, grabbed a bag and headed to the "Cheerful Giver" box.  I have more shaving cream than I could use in about 2 years.  Last year I picked up a TON of FREE disposable Bic razors and the Hydro razors.  A few weeks ago I was able to get a few of the FREE Reach toothbrushes and I already have more of those than we need.  I added FREE deodorant to the bag along with other items all of which I picked up for free or under .50 each!  I am so grateful for God's timing with this little list of needs in our church bulletin.  I had come to a point where I was asking myself if I really wanted to keep doing this.  God heard my unasked question and answered it with a resounding YES.  :-)

Why do you coupon?
Standing on His Promises, Mrs. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment

We can't wait to hear from you!