Amazon

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Publix Trip

I just had to run into Publix one more time before the Smart Balance was no longer BOGO!  I fully expected to get rain checks for it but they had exactly what I was hoping for in stock.  :-)  I was so happy.

Here is what I bought:

2-Smart Balance Low Fat Milk $1.80 each
Package of Celery sticks $2.00 each
Sliced Mushrooms $1.99
Sunflower Seeds $3.99
Red Grapes $3.18
Fresh Cilantro .99
2-Travel Schick Razors .99 each
Package of Carrots .89

Coupons:

2-$2.50 off Smart Balance Milk
2-$3.00 off Schick Razor peelie

Total before coupons and discounts:  $23.63 (includes tax)

Total after coupons and discounts:  $8.25 (includes tax)

I bought the milk and razors because I made money on them.  I will use the milk and the razors will go to my brother-in-law.  The celery, mushrooms, and carrots will be used in our dinner tonight.  The sunflower seeds will be used in the salads I make myself for lunch.  The cilantro went into fresh tomato salsa (love that stuff).  The red grapes are snacks for me.

Dinner tonight will be "Saturday Night Special" or "Hobo Packs" or whatever you call them.  Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

Ground Beef (or turkey)--> One pound will make 2 packs so plan according to the number of folks you are feeding
Mushrooms, sliced
Onions, sliced
Celery, diced
Assorted Vegetables, sliced
Potato, sliced -->One potato will typically fit into 2 packs
Heavy aluminum foil

What I do, for the 2 of us, is make 2 different types of packs.  Bubba's has ground beef, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots in it.  Mine has ground turkey, sweet potato, onion, and assorted other vegetables (squash, zucchini, etc.).  I put the meat into a bowl and add a little bit of some McCormick grill mates spices but I know Mrs. Dash or some other spice blend will work well.  I mix the meat up with the spice blend.  I slice the veggies up.  I set up a 1.5 foot length of foil on the counter, place veggies on the foil, salt and pepper to taste, then scoop half the meat mixture on the top of the veggies.  I pull the sides of the foil up and fold them over together and close the open ends by rolling them up and toward the center.  I put the foil pack on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, sometimes a little longer.

When you pull them out of the oven, be careful opening them because the steam inside the pack will burn your skin.  We carefully pour the juices out and then place the contents of the pack on a plate.  If you wish to keep the juices with yours then I recommend a bowl.  These make for absolutely delicious meals AND the clean up is so easy!  Just throw the foil away and stick the dishes in the dishwasher.  :-)



Standing on His Promises, Mrs. Bubba


No comments:

Post a Comment

We can't wait to hear from you!