Amazon

Friday, April 9, 2010

Dinner is in the oven!

One of my absolute favorite dinners to cook is what Bubba refers to as "Saturday Night Special".  When he was growing up his dad would hunt or something on Saturday afternoons so his mom would take veggies (potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions) and .5-1 pound of ground beef and wrap them up together in a piece of aluminum foil.  Stick it in the oven at around 350 (I use 375 because I like to make sure the potatoes are tender) and bake for an hour.  Then if he wasn't home in time for dinner she would just leave it in the oven so he could grab it when he got home.

The prep work is SO easy and the clean up is a dream!!!  Also, I've altered the ingredients for me.  I make his the old fashioned way with ground beef and all the trimmings.  Mine is ground turkey and I add things like celery, squash, zucchini, etc.  I've even made an all veggie one but I do like the flavor the meat adds.  I always top the food off with sea salt and pepper (sometimes Worchester pepper or lemon or lime pepper) for a little extra flavor.

I got the meat super cheap, the veggies were paid for by Publix overage coupon policy, so this meal isn't just a cinch to make and clean up, it is FRUGAL!  I make 4 "packs" and bake them all which gives us lunch or dinner the next day.  It's great!!!

Standing on His promises,
Mrs. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment

We can't wait to hear from you!