Amazon

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

His Word Wednesday

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ~Hebrews 11:1


Faith.  The dictionary says it means "loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person" and "complete confidence in a person or plan, etc."  The Bible defines it as stated in the above Scripture.  The statement was made that faith is blind and requires no brain function and those that have it are "stupid as sheep".  I attempted to explain that faith is exercised by most people on a daily basis and that faith in anything is based on historical data.  Some "concrete" examples of faith:  when you sit in a chair, you are exercising faith that it will hold you (regardless of your size).  When you slip into your car each morning headed to work, you are exercising faith that it will start AND get you to your destination (some of you exercise more faith than others in that area).  :-)  I have faith that my husband will return home each day after work as opposed to going to some other woman's house.  Why do we have faith in these things?  In the chair example we have seen our friends and family sit down without incident all our lives.  Do you even really think about it when you sit down in your favorite chair?  I know I don't.  My dad brought a chair into his workshop when I visited him.  I had faith in my father that he would bring a sturdy chair for me and faith in the chair because I have been without incident when sitting in chairs for most of my life.  Moving on to my husband, for nearly 8 years he comes home to me each and every night.  The only exception is when he is on a business trip and even then I exercise faith in him that he will not watch anything inappropriate on TV or go to the hotel bar and bring a stranger back to his room.  He has proven over the years that he is trustworthy and true to his marriage vows and to me.  I have nearly 8 years of historical data.  When we first got married I had to have faith in the character of the man I had married since I did not have years of historical data or proof to back up my faith.  My point is that faith is not blind...justice is but not faith.  Faith is based on evidence!


My faith in Christ is based on years and years of historical data and proof.  Not just the proof in my life but in the lives of those around me, believers and non-believers.  In my own life, I have seen God provide for my husband and I when all the numbers and calculations showed that there was more month than money.  All He asked of us was to be faithful in our tithing and giving.  I've had the privilege to be a part of God's blessings in other families lives when needs were there.  I've seen God reconcile relationships that were so far gone that there is absolutely no other explanation as to why they are happily married today.  I've seen the drug addicted get sober in less than 24 hours and never have a withdraw symptom or a craving again.  I've seen teenagers who lost their minds and went off the deep end (rebellion, drug addiction, sleeping around, etc.) come home and grow up to be model citizens.


This isn't the best explanation out there but it's one I can understand.  Faith isn't blind obedience or "stupid sheep" mentality.  It is based on facts and historical data.  What is your faith in?  Why do you believe as you do?  "My faith is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ and His righteousness."

In His precious name,
Mrs. Bubba

PS-If you are reading this on Facebook but not going directly to the blog, you may not be getting ALL the savings. Don't forget to check out the blog directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We can't wait to hear from you!